When you run with little kids you have to adjust things to make it fun for them so they maintain their interest. Some of the things I have learned during my runs with our kids is:
1. Competition doesn’t exist. They just want to have fun.
2. Listen to them when they say they need a walk break. They aren’t in it for a PR and when you run with them neither are you.
3. Watch their steps because they don’t. Don’t forget to bring Band-aids!!!
4. Be creative, dress up. Costumes are fun!!!
5. Enjoy the scenery. Every flower, tree, cat, dog, etc. Don’t worry you won’t miss a thing!
6. Their word per day quota doesn’t pause during a run.
7. Incentives at the end of the run are a MUST!!! (I still enjoy them myself 🏅🎖). The kids incentives are pretty easy, after a morning run they just want some CoCo Pebbles (who wouldn’t ?!)
While I do enjoy running with the kids, some days are definitely easier to just lace up and run solo. Kids aren’t worried about a clock, chip time or placement medal. They are only interested in being free, having fun and enjoying our time together. So you just have to do it, go out and make memories with them.